[ZOOM] Has anyone used ZOOM to send an update holdings request to OCLC.

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Thu May 22 13:51:04 CEST 2008

Andrew George writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > We're trying to use the ZOOM toolkit to send an update holdings request to
 > an OCLC database.

Hi, Andrew.  To the best of my knowledge, no-one's tried that before.
So I'll be interested to know how it goes.

 > We think we successfully connect to the test site [...]

You can search, and suchlike?

 > [...] but we receive the following error message:
 >
 > "Zgate-test.oclc.org:7210 iError: Decoding failed (10003) ODR code
 > 4:53 element = "

OK.  So YAZ is encoding the update PDU in a way that OCLC doesn't
like.  The question is whether YAZ is at fault for encoding it
wrongly, or OCLC is at fault for failure to decode a correctly encoded
APDU.

 > We believe we are matching the schema as described in the ANSI/NISO
 > Z39.50-2003 standard.
 >
 > It looks like the parser doesn't like our format.
 >
 > - What are we missing in our format?

Don't know -- I don't have time to look closely at what you're doing
here

 > - Are there any known issues with using the ZOOM toolkit to make
 > these updates?

No, but then ZOOM update has not been very widely used so it's
possible that there are bugs which our own applications haven't
tickled.

 > - Is the order of the field important?

Probably.

 > Our main problem has been the paucity of documentation and lack of
 > examples.

Which in turn is due to the lack of prior art.

 > Here is the structure we are sending in our request:
 >
 > ES Struct: PyZ3950.asn1.ExtendedServicesRequest [

Oooohhhhh ...

So you're not using YAZ at all!  OK, you have a non-YAZ client
(PyZ3950) talking to a non-YAZ server (OCLC) ... *whew*, we're in the
clear :-)  Seriously, one or other is at fault -- you could try using
ziffy the packet sniffer to determine which.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne" -- Chaucer.