[ZOOM] Possible new Connection properites - comments?

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue May 25 10:02:34 CEST 2004

> Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:54:03 +1000
> From: Alan Kent <ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au>
>
> Moving this over to the explain list - its nothing to do with ZOOM
> any more.

Nice try :-)

> Oh. Does that mean I cannot use it to describe the CCL names
> supported by the database? (I have a server that does support native
> CCL queries that use the name but does not support native CQL
> queries.)

Touche!

> <map>/<name> now means CQL index name (but without a prefix and URI)
> and not a CCL index name.
>
> Maybe this is really a sign that things are not quite right here
> with ZeeRex. E.g. maybe the <name> element should have an element
> saying what sort of name it is (CQL, CCL, the default being CQL if
> you like).

I think you're dead right.  I now call upon the Liverpudlian New
Zealander to defend himself.

> > A comprehensive global mapping between RPN (various flavours) and
> > CQL would be very useful, but I don't think that ZeeRex is the
> > place to do it.
>
> Do you both therefore believe that I should not use ZeeRex at all for
> this purpose?

At present, yes, but I am not so committed to that position as (I
think) Rob is.  I'm still open to be persuaded if you can persuade me,
(but so far you can't :-)

> That is not use ZeeRex to describe a Z39.50 server in terms of
> attribute lists, with information about how to translate CQL and CCL
> queries into RPN for that server? Or just that I should not use the
> <map>/<name> element for this purpose and use my own namespaced
> element instead?

You should of course always feel free to add your own suitably
namespaced element to ZeeRex.  In some ways, it would be nice for the
ZeeRex site to have a real, live extension to point to as an example.
But maybe I am still not 100% convinced that ZeeRex _shouldn't_
support this, even though I am 100% convinced that it _doesn't_ at
present.

How about this:

        <index search='true'>
          <title>Title index</title>
          <map>
            <name type="ccl">title</name>
          </map>
          <map primary='true'>
            <attr type='1'>4</attr>
          </map>
          <map>
            <name type="cql" notSupportedByTheServerButTheClientCanTranslateThisIntoAnyuOfTheOtherFormsIfItWants="1">title</name>
          </map>

?

> Note that providing a way for clients to dynamically discover a set
> of recommended names for accessing a Z39.50 server for uses such as
> CCL, CQL, GUI interfaces with drop down lists of choices etc I
> remembered as being on of the original major goals of ZeeRex.

I don't remember that at all.  Do you have a reference?

> Its the one thing that classic Explain failed to do.

> Nothing like trying something out in practice before proposing a
> change to a standard.

That's true.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Out of all of the people that ever knew, there should have
	 been one I could believe in -- and it should have been you"
	 -- The Waterboys, "It Should Have Been You"