[ZOOM] Possible new Connection properites - comments?

Alan Kent ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au
Mon May 24 02:33:16 CEST 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:53:50AM +0100, Mike Taylor wrote:
> The problem with this, as Rob's pointed out, is that the ZeeRex record
> is supposed to be a statement of what the server supports.  So your
> record is wrongly claiming that it supports (for example) the CQL
> index dc.title when in fact all it supports is the BIB-1 access-point
> 1=1003, and your client-side software can translate between them.
>
> Unless I am missing something, this is not ZeeRex; merely an XML
> format that resembles it in every syntactic respect.  Sorry.

I should stop mailing I know - this is now more a Explain list issue
rather than ZOOM. (The ZOOM stuff I have decided to do some private
API extensions to try things out, so I have no more questions on that
front.)

However, just to show a simple case of what I am thinking of doing,
here is a simple subset of a ZeeRex record.

  <explain>
    <indexInfo>
      <index search='true'>
        <title>Title index</title>
        <map>
          <name>title</name>
        </map>
        <map primary='true'>
          <attr type='1'>4</attr>
        </map>
    </indexInfo>
  </explain>

Nothing CQL specific here is there? Just lists bib-1 attributes and
a name.

I am going to use the <map>/<name> element as my CQL index name.
The above does not claim its a CQL name - I am going to *use* it
as a CQL name. I now have a name I can use in a CQL query to translate
it to RPN on the client side. This ZeeRex record does not claim the
server supports CQL natively does it? (Am I missing something?)

Yes, I am thinking of other private extensions that do cross the
boundary. But I don't think many people would use it (I want it
for completeness). So forgetting CQL relations and modifiers, the
above is the sort of thing I am going to use.

Alan