[ZOOM] Possible new Connection properites - comments?

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri May 21 12:53:50 CEST 2004

> Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:37:21 +1000
> From: Alan Kent <ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au>
>
> How about I use a phrase such as "I am using a ZeeRex record to
> declare CQL index names, relations, and relation modifiers and an
> equivalent attribute list that could be used in a RPN query". My CQL
> parser does not care about semantic interpretations. It just cares
> about the legal vocabularly of context sets, index names, relation
> names, and relation modifier names; and the corresponding equivalent
> Z39.50 attribute list that can be used in an RPN query which has
> equivalent semantics. Its up to the author of the ZeeRex record to
> make sure the semantics are the same.

The problem with this, as Rob's pointed out, is that the ZeeRex record
is supposed to be a statement of what the server supports.  So your
record is wrongly claiming that it supports (for example) the CQL
index dc.title when in fact all it supports is the BIB-1 access-point
1=1003, and your client-side software can translate between them.

Unless I am missing something, this is not ZeeRex; merely an XML
format that resembles it in every syntactic respect.  Sorry.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Is this movie better than a documentary of the same actors
	 having lunch?" -- Gene Siskel.