[ZOOM] Possible new Connection properites - comments?

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue May 18 21:12:50 CEST 2004

> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:07:43 +1000
> From: Alan Kent <ajk at mds.rmit.edu.au>
>
> Case 1: Explaining servers using ZeeRex
>
> Rather than set the host and port via options, I would like instead
> to point at a ZeeRex record (using a URL I guess) and get the
> connection details (and anything else I need) out of that ZeeRex
> record. (I am trying to get the list of CQL index names from it for
> example, allowing me to translate CQL queries to RPN for any Z39.50
> target that someone has described in a ZeeRex record hosted on a
> website somewhere.)

This seems to me like it's conflating two separate things.  By all
means have a library function that fetches a ZeeRex record and uses
data from it to forge a ZOOM connection, but I don't think that's part
of ZOOM itself.  ZOOM should not depend on ZeeRex.

> I was thinking of having a "ZeeRex" string option that is the URL of
> the ZeeRex record to go fetch.

An option on what kind of object?

> Case 2: Explaining servers using classic Explain

This seems like prime private-extension territory to me.  I know that
you know and love Explain Classic, but I think you are the only one
:-)  Seriously, the wider world has more or less given up on Explain
Classic (hence ZeeRex), and I wouln't want to put new implenentors in
a what-kind-of-explain-to-use quandary by having ZOOM accidentally
breathe new life into the older version.  Sorry.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "If I seem short sighted, it is because I stand on the
	 shoulders of midgets" -- Unattributed.