[ZOOM] Some 1.4 options questions

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Feb 4 11:41:27 CET 2004

> Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:14:26 +0100
> From: Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk>
>
>>> * Why is there a 'host' option but not a 'port' option?
>>> * Why is there a 'proxy' option holding a host name, but no proxy port?
>>
>> This is because the option-list I started with, and massaged into
>> what's currently in v1.4, is the one from YAZ's ZOOM-C
>> documentation, and ZOOM-C as it currently stands smashed
>> "<host>:<port>" pairs together into single strings.  That should at
>> least be documented in the AAPI; and perhaps it should just be
>> changed.  Any thoughts, Adam?
>
> I really never liked the port. In fact host is the whole server
> is http: for SRW. "tcp": for Z93.50. Default is Z39.50. Port
> defaults to 210 for Z39.50, 80 for HTTP. Path is database spec for
> Z39.50. Path for SRW.. It's ugly to have them combined but it's easy
> to _construct_ (as easy as string concatenation). Had it been the
> other way around, the API user would to have to decode a URL/ZURL
> .. then make each component..

Hmm.  I guess this makes a certain amount of sense.

> So host is, admitted, is a terrible name. What would be better a
> name?

"server"?

> ZOOM C implements two ways for retrieval: Z39.50 way and the easy
> SRW/Z39.50 way.
>
> In the easy mode, start, count and presentChunk is first record to
> fetch, number of records to fetch and number of records to fetch in
> each present request respectively. The special presentChunk value 0,
> means present all records in one go (count records).

What effect does "count" have, then?

>>>* My reading of options and inheritance is if you do a search, the
>>>  Result Set object created will use the current element set name of
>>>  the Connection.
>>
>> Yes.
>
> It is a little confusing, though. The notion of "default" settings
> or settings getting propagated to child instances (e.g. result
> sets), I'm not too keen of ..
> Result sets and every other object should have a constructor where
> options could be specified..

Sorry, I would have been open to do this differently when we were just
starting out with ZOOM, but I don't want to change everything now and
affect whatever it is, a dozen existing implementations.

That said, I think most of what you want you will get with the "don't
connect yet" constructor for the Connection class, which has been
promised in the works since forever.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There is no meta-data.  Only data" -- 9th Century Zen koan.