[ZOOM] Re: Render

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Fri Sep 6 18:47:21 CEST 2002

> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:41:01 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> for doc in rset:
>   print doc.render(format="HTML", tableBGColor="grey");
> print "</table>"

Hmmm.  This is a useful facility, but it ain't the ZOOM "render"
facility.

> Not standard ZOOM, I know, but we've not discussed record rendering
> much, so I'm hopeful that we can make render() a little more
> customisable or easily overridden.

Why don't you keep it in your implementation as an extension?  Just
give it a less misleading name?

> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:05:41 -0400
> From: Aaron Lav <asl2 at pobox.com>
>
> Yep, it clearly makes sense to have two functions if one (__str__)
> prints for debugging purposes and the other (render) is a
> sophisticated renderer capable of rendering to HTML, SVG, or
> whatever.
>
> I'll change my code to add render () (although I might not rush to
> implement any keywords).

Same comment -- please feel free to do this, but don't call it
render(), which the ZOOM AAPI is clear about: it makes no attempt to
be intelligent and is essentially a debugging aid.

Thanks,

)_v__/\  "An assault on the eyes, the ears, the brain, common sense
	 and the human desire to be entertained.  No matter what
	 they're charging to get in, it's worth more to get out" --
	 Roger Ebert's review of _Armageddon_.