[ZOOM] ZOOM-C++

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Thu Oct 24 13:25:22 CEST 2002

Dear ZOOMers,

I'm delighted to announce that, with the release of Index Data's
excellent new YAZ++ toolkit, my implementation of the ZOOM C++ binding
is now out there and available.  Brief details at
	http://zoom.z3950.org/bind/cplusplus/yaz/index.html
-- essentially just a link to Index Data's YAZ++ page at
	http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz++/

Perhaps more significantly, the Index Data guys persuaded me to write
some documentation for that implementation, so we now -- at last! --
have some human-readable prose describing the binding.  The
documentation is linked from the C++ binding's page at
	http://zoom.z3950.org/bind/cplusplus/index.html
and is itself at
	http://indexdata.dk/yaz++/doc/zoom.php

In building this implementation, I found I had to make a few changes
to the binding.  I've discussed some of them with Ashley, but that
thread stalled a while back, so my plan now is to post what I'm using
as version 1.3 of the ZOOM C++ binding (the big jump in version number
is not because much has changed, but because it's now based off v1.3
of the Abstract API); and then Ashley and I can integrate his further
changes once the necessary bickering has happened :-)

(Ashley, hope you're OK with that way forward.)

)_v__/\  When a company calls its PC the `PC', and its DOS `DOS',
	 it comes as little surprise when it calls its windows system
	 `Windows'.