[ZOOM] WebService binding for Zoom

Matthew Dovey matthew.dovey at las.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 28 15:27:08 CEST 2002

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:27:17 +0100 (BST)

---

> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:37:26 +0200
> From: Sebastian Hammer <quinn at indexdata.dk>
>
> > Matthew pointed out that you can't execute functions on objects
> > returned from a web service.  Of course we have ZOOM bindings for
> > non OO languages, so I think that it's not such a dead idea as
> > Matthew has it.
>
> I agree... frankly, I'm not sure the objection makes sense at
> all.  The abstract API has an OOP flavor, but the language bindings
> do not necessarily act that way.

Certainly the claim that "you can't execute functions on objects
returned from a web service" betrays a certain lack of imagination.

> It probably depends on your level of internal abstraction... I tend
> top think of an abstract framework for talking about Z39.50-like IR
> operations which happens to be expressed in OO-like concepts.

Quite.

<snip>

Mmmm- not too sure I'm quite happy on the slur of "lack of imagination" on my
character - I did suggest a handle/session id approach ala C for emulating
the OO nature of ZOOM in a private e-mail to Sebastian on the ZOOM/WebService
binding at the beginning of May!

Just putting the record straight! ;-)

I did think it a little messy though (still do in many ways)

Matthew