[ZOOM] Re: "Hello World" for ZOOM C++

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Wed Jul 24 16:53:04 CEST 2002

> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:50:25 +0100
> From: zzaascs at irwell.mimas.ac.uk
>
> > > What would it actually gain us?
> >
> > Well, I've been working recently on UNICODE for YAZ and I can tell
> > you that STL would probably make a few things a lot easier (which
> > is not an option for C of course).
>
> I wouldn't conceive of writing anything other than a trivially
> simple program without the STL. Maps, vectors and strings are just
> far too useful -- they cut down on a source of bugs and memory leaks
> and make development much quicker/easier.

OK, look like my question wasn't clear.  When I asked, "what would it
actually gain us?", by "it" I meant the use of STL String class
throughout the ZOOM/C++ binding interface.  I absolutely did not mean
to suggest that the STL as a whole is useless!  -- Nor even that STL's
String class is useless in general: merely that I don't see how using
it in the ZOOM interface is going to help us.

I really want to know.  I'm not merely being obstructive.

Thing is, as I understand it, the current ZOOM interface can be
happily used within STL programs _or_ MFC programs (and no doubt there
are others).  Is it not the case that both STL String and MFC CString
have (char*) cast operators?  And so either can be transparently
passed into any of the ZOOM methods wherever a char* is specified?
Then, really, what else do you want?

Teach me, O masters!

)_v__/\  "Cold weather is God's way of telling us to burn more
	 Catholics" -- Richard Curtis, "Blackadder II".