[ZOOM] Re: "Hello World" for ZOOM C++

Adam Dickmeiss adam at indexdata.dk
Wed Jul 24 12:39:26 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:26:01AM +0100, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:26:29 +0100
> > From: Ashley Sanders <a.sanders at mcc.ac.uk>
> >
> > The implementation is a hack of hack and isn't something I'd
> > really want to show off in public. There's lots of stuff
> > that's just been copied and pasted and isn't doing anything
> > and it all needs tidying up. So until I've I've washed my dirty
> > linen I'd sooner not show it in public.
[snip]

> > Well, I'm not so sure; is the STL part of the ANSI C++ standard?
> > If it is, then I don't see why we shouldn't use it. Sorry.
>
> Does the Microsoft world (i.e. the greater part of the the world's C++
> community) use the STL?  Or do MS-hackers still use MFC's Cstring?  If
> the latter, then I think for us to use STL strings would both rude and
> poor judgement.  If they've moved to the STL, then I think using STL
> strings would merely be pointless.

STL strings are part of the C++ library in Visual Studio 6.0.
But remember to add:

#ifdef WIN32
#pragma warning(disable:4786)
#endif

before you use STL or you'll get many warnings. Nice, huh?

> What would it actually gain us?
Well, I've been working recently on UNICODE for YAZ and I can tell
you that STL would probably make a few things a lot easier (which
is not an option for C of course).

-- Adam

> /o ) \/  Mike Taylor   <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>   www.miketaylor.org.uk
> )_v__/\  Zenophobia, n. -- the irrational fear of convergent sequences.

Adam Dickmeiss  mailto:adam at indexdata.dk  http://www.indexdata.dk
Index Data      T: +45 33410100           Mob.: 212 212 66