[ZOOM] Multiple nonsurrogate diagnostic records?

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Wed Jul 24 12:14:05 CEST 2002

> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:04:45 -0500
> From: Aaron Lav <asl2 at pobox.com>
>
> While trying to improve my implementation's error handling, I
> realized that it looks as if, according to the spec[*], there can be
> more than one nonsurrogate diagnostic in response to a search,
> present, or scan, which seems to conflict with the ZOOM 1.3
> specification's language (e.g. 3.2.5).

(Don't you love it when people cite their sources?)

Well, Aaron, it looks like you're right.  But I have to admit I've
never actually seen this done.  In particular, Yaz's generic front-end
server only provides for a single diagnostic to be returned.  I don't
think restricting to a single diagnostic is an unreasonable
simplification to make in the ZOOM API, but I am open to be persuaded
otherwise -- particularly by anyone who's actually implemented a
server that returns multiple diagnostics (or indeed run a client
against such a server).

)_v__/\  "AAAAAAAARRRRRRAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHRRHRGGHR!" -- Stuart Pearce,
	 22/6/96