[ZOOM] Re: Web Services binding (Was: Responses to Qns)

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Thu Jul 18 13:17:36 CEST 2002

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:09:57 +0200
> From: Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk>
>
> You're right that it is not an interface for sh. Instead it's a
> shell for ZOOM - and a very simple shell on its own - not tied to a
> particular language. Just bare ZOOM-like commands.

Yup.  OK, that's good: I'll revise its page on the ZOOM web-site
accordingly.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  We'll need a new name
for the binding, I think: calling it "Shell Commands" is misleading.
(Well, it misled me anyway!)  Any ideas?

> I do not plan to make something as you suggest. It's simply not
> worth doing. bash/tcsh are monolitic in the sense that they don't do
> plugins, or similar. perl and tcl do. So it simply doesn't take us
> anywhere by doing something for those UNIX shells when perl is
> there.

I agree 100%.  Just wanted to be sure I understood your intentions.

> > BTW., I can't find any mention of zoomsh in the on-line Yaz manual
> > at
> > 	http://indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/yaz.php
> > Is there anything?  I'd like to link to it.
>
> Not yet.

Any plans?

)_v__/\  Tom Holtz's rule of dinosaur restorations: if you can't fit
	 the skeleton inside the model, the model is wrong.