[ZOOM] Re: Web Services binding (Was: Responses to Qns)

Adam Dickmeiss adam at indexdata.dk
Thu Jul 18 11:09:57 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 05:34:48PM +0100, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:24:57 +0200
> > From: Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk>
> >
> > connect z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager
> > set preferredRecordSyntax USMARC
> > search @attr 1=7 0253333490
> > show 0 1
>
> Most excellent!  Thanks.  I've added it to
> 	http://zoom.z3950.org/bind/shell/index.html
>
> Now, this sample program is a set of commands to issue to the "zoomsh"
> command-line client that's included in recent Yaz releases.  But I
> notice that the shell-commands binding's page (URL above) describes
> the binding as follows:
>
> 	Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk> is playing around with a
> 	Unix command-line-utility binding for use in shellscripts and
> 	suchlike. It will probably be included along with a little
> 	family of demo/test applications in the next YAZ release.
>
> That's a pretty bad misrepresentation, isn't it?  From somewhere, I
> got the idea that you meant a set of self-contained Unix commands that
> you'd run from the shell like this:
>
> 	$ conn=`zoom-connect z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager`
> 	$ zoom-set $conn preferredRecordSyntax USMARC
> 	$ rs=`zoom-search $conn '@attr 1=7 0253333490'`
> 	$ zoom-show $rs 0 1

You're right that it is not an interface for sh. Instead it's a shell
for ZOOM - and a very simple shell on its own - not tied to a particular
language. Just bare ZOOM-like commands. You can pass the commands from
your command line - if you wish:

zoomsh "connect z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager" \
        "set preferredRecordSyntax USMARC" \
        "search @attr 1=7 0253333490" "show 0 1" quit

All is one-shot and simple.

> Now did I completely misunderstand you, or was there at some point a
> plan to build something like this?  If so, do you anticipate any
> progress?
It do not plan to make something as you suggest. It's simply not worth
doing. bash/tcsh are monolitic in the sense that they don't do plugins, or
similar. perl and tcl do. So it simply doesn't take us anywhere by doing
something for those UNIX shells when perl is there.

> BTW., I can't find any mention of zoomsh in the on-line Yaz manual at
> 	http://indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/yaz.php
> Is there anything?  I'd like to link to it.
Not yet.

-- Adam

--
Adam Dickmeiss  mailto:adam at indexdata.dk  http://www.indexdata.dk
Index Data      T: +45 33410100           Mob.: 212 212 66