[ZOOM] Re: Web Services binding (Was: Responses to Qns)

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Wed Jul 17 18:34:48 CEST 2002

> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:24:57 +0200
> From: Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk>
>
> connect z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager
> set preferredRecordSyntax USMARC
> search @attr 1=7 0253333490
> show 0 1

Most excellent!  Thanks.  I've added it to
	http://zoom.z3950.org/bind/shell/index.html

Now, this sample program is a set of commands to issue to the "zoomsh"
command-line client that's included in recent Yaz releases.  But I
notice that the shell-commands binding's page (URL above) describes
the binding as follows:

	Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk> is playing around with a
	Unix command-line-utility binding for use in shellscripts and
	suchlike. It will probably be included along with a little
	family of demo/test applications in the next YAZ release.

That's a pretty bad misrepresentation, isn't it?  From somewhere, I
got the idea that you meant a set of self-contained Unix commands that
you'd run from the shell like this:

	$ conn=`zoom-connect z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager`
	$ zoom-set $conn preferredRecordSyntax USMARC
	$ rs=`zoom-search $conn '@attr 1=7 0253333490'`
	$ zoom-show $rs 0 1

Now did I completely misunderstand you, or was there at some point a
plan to build something like this?  If so, do you anticipate any
progress?

BTW., I can't find any mention of zoomsh in the on-line Yaz manual at
	http://indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/yaz.php
Is there anything?  I'd like to link to it.

)_v__/\  Since Oscar Wilde's quote "There is no sin except stupidity"
	 is clearly stupid, we should probably consider it sinful in
	 deference to him.