[ZOOM] Re: "Hello World" for ZOOM C++

Mike Taylor mike at seatbooker.net
Tue Jul 16 18:30:35 CEST 2002

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:26:17 +0100 (BST)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> Not being a C++ hacker, what is the difference between a 'base' and
> 'concrete' class?

Ashley's using "base class" losely to mean "virtual base class" --
that is, one with one or more virtual methods and which, therefore,
cannot be instantiated.  Therefore, such a class exists _only_ to act
as a superclass for subclasses.  By contrast a "concrete" class may be
instantiated (and, of course, there's nothing to stop you from also
defining subclasses.)

> And would the difference affect implementations other than the C++
> binding?

No.

)_v__/\  I have a much better understanding now I haven't thought
	 about it so much.