[ZOOM] Again: Record Handling

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 15:04:48 CEST 2002

Feedback, please!

Given that Get Field Count is meaningless and Get Field is confusing;
and given that every time we try to discuss them we get nowhere; and
given the knots that the C++ binding has got into trying to provide a
semi-uniform interface to records of different record syntaxes; I now
propose that we throw out the Get Number Of Fields and Get Field
methods.

Let's be intellectually honest and reduce the Record interface to the
only two methods that are actually worthwhile: Render (as a debugging
aid, primarily) and Raw Data, yielding information that can actually
be used.  That's a MARC record, an XML document, a pointer to the
top-level node of a GRS-1 tree, a SUTRS string or whatever.

CAN ANYONE THINK OF A REASON NOT TO DO THIS?

)_v__/\  "Sting of reason, splash of tears; the Northern and the
	 Southern hemispheres; love emerges and it disappears" --
	 Paul Simon, "I Do It For Your Love"