[ZOOM] ZOOM 1.0-g.hh OK (sas Re: zoom.hh)

Ashley Sanders zzaascs at irwell.mimas.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 17:28:56 CET 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 04:23:18PM +0000, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:22:05 +0000
> > From: Ashley Sanders <zzaascs at irwell.mimas.ac.uk>
> >
> > > Certainly I can see a use for a autonomous record object. What
> > > happens if you need to search twice on a target that doesn't
> > > support named result sets? Well, maybe the client is smart enough
> > > to keep the records in caches, maybe not.
> >
> > If we are having the resultSet own the records, then it follows
> > that the resultSet object _MUST_ cache the records -- else what
> > can it return a reference or a pointer to?
>
> It can, and should, simply fail.  The abstract API is clear on the
> point: see http://zoom.z3950.org/api/zoom-1.1.html#3.4.4 --
>
> 	If the server has deleted the result set for which the Result
> 	Set object is a proxy, then the Get Record method fails,
> 	throwing an exception or by returning an ``undefined''
> 	value. In these circumstances, the Error Code method will
> 	return 27 (``Result set no longer exists - unilaterally
> 	deleted by target'')

That's not the point I was trying to make. Adam said "maybe the
client is smart enough to keep the records in caches". I was
trying to point out, that if getRecord() returns a reference or a
const pointer (ie the resultSet owns the record), then the client
(ie the resultSet) has no choice but to cache records.

Ashley.

Ashley Sanders                                a.sanders at mcc.ac.uk
COPAC: A public bibliographic database from MIMAS, funded by JISC
             http://copac.ac.uk/ - copac at mimas.ac.uk