[ZOOM] Object Owenership (Was: Value Returned from Set Option (Was: Catching up))

Adam Dickmeiss adam at indexdata.dk
Fri Nov 16 12:23:44 CET 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:54:37AM +0000, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:52:59 +0100
> > From: Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk>
> >
> > Other than that I've made Z3950_record_dup (should it be called
> > close?). And, the result set methods returns record refernces [...]
>      ^
>  "clone", right?
>
> > [...] that are volatile and "owned" by the result set (and should be
> > copied using dup/clone to release that ownership).
>
> Why have you gone this route?  (I'm not saying it's wrong, just trying
> to understand the reasoning and its implications for the C++ binding.)
> Why don't you just make the record objects "self-owning" and
> autonomous?

I think Ashley wanted the reference to internal stuff in the
result set. And I can cope with that. The bright side is that
then I don't forget to destroy record objects returned
from _resultset_record(s).

We need to decide on this soon! I don't care which route we
take, really. But we sould decide.

> > Other than that I'm ready to make a new YAZ release again.
>
> Have you renamed all the function etc. from Z3950_* to ZOOM_*?  I
> would really like this change to happen ASAP because although its
> conceptually trivial, it will hack people off -- so better to do it
> early while there aren't too many users.  Thanks.

I'll do the renaming before next release. Forgot that we decided
on that. It makes perfectly sense.

> > I've written more about how ZOOM C maps to the protocol
> > in the YAZ manual at http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/zoom.php
> > Comments appreciated.
>
> I've skim-read this, and it looks good.  More detailed comments to
> follow, but I just wanted to say what a warm glow it gives me to see
> this ZOOM work going on, and documented so well.  The reordering of
> the whole Yaz document helps too.

Thanks.

-- Adam

> /o ) \/  Mike Taylor   <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>   www.miketaylor.org.uk
> )_v__/\  "My personal advice is don't overdo, or underdo, anything in
> 	 your writing.  Do it exactly right" -- Jane MacDonald.

Adam Dickmeiss  mailto:adam at indexdata.dk  http://www.indexdata.dk
Index Data      T: +45 33410100           Mob.: 212 212 66