[ZOOM] Virtual Classes (Was: Catching up)

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 14:14:54 CET 2001

> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:19:12 +0000
> From: Ashley Sanders <zzaascs at irwell.mimas.ac.uk>
>
> I did also think you could make the connection class virtual.  Then
> you could have a connection type (like we have now) that searches
> one target, or another connection type that is capable of searching
> multiple targets. The user (ie programmer) selects which connection
> type they require and that would be the only difference between
> single target and multi target searching. But that removes the
> manager class and so is very un-ZOOM, so I'll shut up.

I don't we're done anything that precludes this, have we?  While we
don't want to insitutionalise the idea of "smart connections" that fan
out and merge, I would hate us to build a spec that prevents
individual implementations providing this facility as a legitimate
extension -- or indeed, prevents applications from doing it.

)_v__/\  Tom Holtz's rule of dinosaur restorations: if you can't fit
	 the skeleton inside the model, the model is wrong