[ZOOM] Re: Scope of ZOOM (was Hello etc)

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 11:42:28 CET 2001

> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:06:02 +0100
> From: Sebastian Hammer <quinn at indexdata.dk>
>
> 4-6 years ago, I'd say we might have a chance of putting together a
> consortium and getting funding... today, I would really doubt it. At
> least, we would need to bring in support for more sexy IR protocols
> to do it, if we can *find* any more sexy IR protocol.

OK.  I guessed this would be the case :-P

> As much as I think a great big transparent merging thing would be
> cool, I also shudder at the complexity... but hey, maybe there's a
> way to cut down on that.
> [snip]

Sebastian,

Many thanks for this excellent if intimidating summary of the problems
of multi-target searching.  With your permission, I will adapt this
more or less verbatim as a page on the ZOOM website -- a part of the
FAQ-cum-rationale section that needs to start coming together in these
days where _every_ person's first question on joining this list is why
we use char* in the C++ binding :-)

> Ian, how much does your API layer do in terms of merging results
> from different sources behind the scenes?

... man am I looking forward to reading the answer to this!

)_v__/\  "In Italy you are always on shaky ground.  You can be top of
	 the league, have a bad team photo and be sacked" -- Ron
	 Atkinson.