[ZOOM] Re: Scope of ZOOM (was Hello etc)

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 15:52:23 CET 2001

> >big a deal I agree, but it does make for more interesting diagnostics if
> >multiDB and multiserver searches are to use a single interface (which they
> >should!)  Look forwards to -how- this is to be represented in the AAPI :)
>
> FWIW, I disagree. There's a big difference between multidb and multitarget
> searching.. For one thing, the former is still a happily synchronous

Perhaps at the protocol/wire level, but not intellectually.

People (or as much as I represent 'people' :) )  don't honestly care that
a single server can maintain multiple databases beyond having a single
port and Explain across them all.

When I do a search, I think about it as searching a database with some
parameters to say what exactly I want out of it.  Maybe I do that on
multiple databases. Maybe those databases are on multiple machines. The
fundamentals of *how the searching is done* is what ZOOM should be hiding
from people who don't care.

If they did care, then why would they use ZOOM and not one of the many
toolkits or implementations?

IMO, if ZOOM is to have multiple database searching, both on a single
server and on multiple servers, then there should be -one- interface in
the AAPI which does this as intellectually the operation is the same.