[ZOOM] hello and first impressions of the C++ bindings

Adam Dickmeiss adam at indexdata.dk
Wed Nov 7 14:46:56 CET 2001

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 12:02:25PM +0000, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:51:42 +0100
> > From: Adam Dickmeiss <adam at indexdata.dk>
> >
> > I think we should aim for three kinds of record accesses:
> > [...]
> > 3) structured/DOM - like retrieval mechanism. For easy conversion to
> > hash/array structures to higher-level languages.
>
> Adam,
>
> I don't really have a strong sense of what this might look like.
> Could you possibly sketch an interface and some sample client code?

I'm proposing a DOM like model since that allows us to work with
XML/GRS-1 and MARC using one model. The record is represented
as a tree, and an API allows us to point into the tree somewhere and
return tag, attributes, parent, child for each one. The MARC
records is just a two level structure with fields and subfields.
Indicators should be modelled as attributes. There are lots of'
implementations that do this, however. One of them is part of PHP
and just reading the manual illustrates what I mean, hopefully. See
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.xmldoc.php

We should ask ourselves whether we want to do DOM-tools ourselves as
part of ZOOM, since DOM-implementations are available "everywhere". If that is
decided and since the rest of the world doesn't care that much for MARC
or GRS-1 we should convert those to syntaxes to an XML string form.
Then, use some DOM-tools on top to handle the records.

-- Adam

> Ta,

> /o ) \/  Mike Taylor   <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>   www.miketaylor.org.uk
> )_v__/\  "Leaders moralise to nations, on the street we give donations;
> 	 it takes more than spare change to change the mess we're in"
> 	 -- Phatfish, "Sitback"

Adam Dickmeiss  mailto:adam at indexdata.dk  http://www.indexdata.dk
Index Data      T: +45 33410100           Mob.: 212 212 66