[ZOOM] hello and first impressions of the C++ bindings

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 14:21:06 CET 2001

> Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:57:00 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > Nope.  But then I suppose in the end we can't guarantee that no
> > database names will include a NUL either, so we just have to live
> > with this sort of stupidity.
>
> See also the slippery slope of not letting people at bits of Z39.50.
> Yes I'm being pedantic, but that's what is necessary in order to be
> consistent.  This would be a precedent for -not- allowing access to
> -everything- the Z spec can do.

Yes indeed.  I think that's legitimate (and I think you do too? :-)

> I wouldn't call a client that can handle broken servers itself
> broken, but fair enough.

I would if in doing so it makes working servers look broken.  But
don't let me stop you from building intelligence into your
implementation.

> For that matter, forget Explain ;)

We all did that long ago :-(

> > > Is a diagnostics object too heavy a solution?
> > I don't understand what you mean by "diagnostics object".
>
> An object that maintains ( ;P ) information about diagnostics
> regarding a particular operation.  For example, simply extract the
> error etc properties from all of your current objects and have a
> pointer to a diagnostics object.

How is that different from ZOOM::bib1Error in 1.0f?

)_v__/\  "In order to progress as a writer you must learn to struggle
	 to put proper words in proper places" -- Bret Jolly.