[ZOOM] Re: Scope of ZOOM (was Hello etc)

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 14:17:14 CET 2001

> Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:41:30 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> If we're going to expose -everything- that Z39.50 allows, then I
> don't see what ZOOM does to dispel the idea that the protocol isn't
> a pain to use.  It -is- a pain. The terminology used to describe it
> sucks. It's hugely complex, but most of this complexity does add to
> the functionality.
>
> If everything is going into the Abstract API, then the documentation
> will be just as cumbersome as the NISO standard document and once
> again we're at the point where it's not used in favour of
> proprietary systems.

This is a crucial point, and well made.  I'd say this is the single
greatest danger we face, and it does bother me.  So thanks for the
sanity-check warning.

That said, I side with Adam and Sebastian in claiming that in this
particular case -- multi-database searching -- the extra complexity is
very little: essentially, one titchy new method on the record class.
I hope that we heed your deeper warning, but I plan to ride roughshod
over it in this case :-)

> There is chaff, it needs to be cut loose.  It -IS- up to us to
> decide what is chaff and what isn't -with respect to ZOOM-.

Agreed.

)_v__/\  "Make the magic happen sooner" -- Terry Cox's guideline for
	 writing fiction.