[ZOOM] hello and first impressions of the C++ bindings

Mike Taylor mike at tecc.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 13:26:32 CET 2001

> Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:20:33 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk>
>
> > I think that's beyond scope, in the same way that multiple targets
> > is.  Multiple databases is not beyond the scope of ZOOM. It's so
> > easy to implement and offer. Multi-target should be adressed
> > too. It doesn't
>
> Perhaps I misrecall, but wasn't the consensus about Ashley's
> SmartConnectionBag (or whatever it was called) that it wasn't
> something we wanted to deal with?

The problem with Ashley's SmartConnectionBag (or whatever) is not that
it's a bad idea -- just that it's a _different_ good idea from a
connection.  That's why we see essentially this idea appearing in the
guise of the Manager class in the Net::Z3950 Perl module, which is
merely ZOOM with a less exciting name.

(That's not to say that we won't perhaps end up with a model a bit
like Ian's HeterogenousSetOfDifferentTargetsThatAreNotAllTheSame
class.  (Yes, the name could do with some work :-)

)_v__/\  Zenophobia, n. -- the irrational fear of convergent
	 sequences.