[ZOOM] hello and first impressions of the C++ bindings

Adam Dickmeiss adam at indexdata.dk
Mon Nov 5 15:11:27 CET 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 01:20:33PM +0000, Robert Sanderson wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Adam Dickmeiss wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 12:28:32PM +0000, Robert Sanderson wrote:
>
> > > It returns the current value I thought, ie -after- the set function had
> > > run.
> > It was my impression that it does return the old value. Note that if you
> > pass a new value, then you know that already. If you don't pass a value
> > then it returns the old value (which is the current value, anyway).
>
> My thought was that if you return the current value, and for some reason
> it -couldn't- set it, then you'd know that the value of the option hadn't
> changed.

Quote from V1.0 abstract API
"If the value parameter is supplied, sets the option called name to that
value, and return the previous value of that option (or an undefined value
if the option had no value.) Otherwise, just returns the current value
of option name. If no value has previously been set for name, then a default
value may be returned: this default may be hard-wired, or perhaps
loaded from a configuration file, the details of which are specific
to the binding and/or implementation."

Look forward to hear from Mike.

[snip]
> For example, you wouldn't call search on a connection object unless that
> connection object is representative of multiple connections.  At which
> point, interogating it for properties like errorCode, hostname and portnum
> becomes meaningless, so it's not a connection object any more?
>
> I'm very possibly wrong here, but that was my recollection. :)

Your collection is right, in the sense that we don't define
"super" connection objects, etc that try do it all. Rather, IMHO, we
define single target connections and advice how one could easily
extend that to do multi targets. That doesn't mean hairy
OO - just looping - arrays, etc.

-- Adam