[ZOOM] hello and first impressions of the C++ bindings

Robert Sanderson azaroth at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 13:28:32 CET 2001

> - why is the set option call retyrning the old value?
>   i wood argue that close to all clients setting a option is
>   not interested in the old value. and if it ware the call of
>   the get function is not be a  large overhead.

It returns the current value I thought, ie -after- the set function had
run.

So:

set("databasename")                              -> undefined??
set("databasename", "default")                   -> "default"
set("databasename", "new")                       -> "new"
set("databasename")                              -> "new"

>   always miss one importend item. why not just give the client programmer
>   the OID and defines the names of the regristrated OIDS from the motherpage.
>   then the programmer dont need to know that 1.2.840.10003.5.14 is danMarc
>   unless he wants to. and the use of a oid class.

I don't think we need an OID class.  As far as I can see, it would simply
be an object with two properties - OID and Name.
As there is a defined set of OIDs, it makes sense to me at least that they
should be simply defined in what ever mechanism is convenient for the
language to map between two strings.

I think that the Get Field function is useful, but will be the point at
which most implementations stop with only MARC.  Of course, there can be
competition amongst ZOOM implementations (which is healthy) such that if
the C++ binding comes with libxml, libmarc, libgrs1, libsutrs and
libsomethingelse, then it's likely to be taken up more than the TCL
implementation which only handles marc and grs1.

> - personaly i think the ZOOM api shut returns records as octetsreams, and
>   let the client application decode the record. optionaly supply a support
>   lib for GRS-1.

There is a get raw record function.

I recall a conversation on the ZIG bus about what is returned for GRS1
in this, but not the outcome. I -think- it was an implementation specific
rendition of the GRS1. (I hope so at least, because that's why my
implementation will need to return to TCL)

> - Howto is one access multible database on the same target. i am missing
>   a list of databases as part of the search class.

I think that's beyond scope, in the same way that multiple targets is.