[ZOOM] Re: Ouch

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.dk
Thu Nov 1 22:24:29 CET 2001

At 03:32 PM 11/1/2001 +0000, Ashley Sanders wrote:

>Indeed. What you've suggested above and what we now seem to be
>converging on is getting very similar to my COPAC origin. The one
>major difference we between ZOOM and COPAC is the connection
>object. And I'm throwing this in now as we seem to be in the mood
>for changing everything. The ZOOM connection object is a single
>connection to one target. In COPAC the connection object can talk
>to more than one target. So when a resultSet object is created
>the connection object sends the search to as many targets as
>specfied by the query. Do we want to go down this route Mike?

I would think not... my feeling is that in many cases, you need to tune
queries and other parameters individually for each target to make up for
small differences in implementations... this happens less and less between
library targets, which are slowly aligning to their respective profiles...
but any kind of cross-domain searching usually requires a certain measure
of intelligence on the part of a the client.

But I *am* looking forward to a discussion about parallel operations and
the asynchronous interface in ZOOM.   :-)

--Sebastian