[Zebralist] zebrasrv as a automatic startup service

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Tue Oct 18 11:46:12 CEST 2011

On 18 October 2011 04:49, Bayu Raharjo <bayu.raharjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Adam and all,
> This is how I usually start zebra service as Daemon on ubuntu manually
> through CLI:
> zebrasrv-2.0 -c /var/www/copycataloging/data/oai-pmh/conf/zebra.cfg @:9999
> -D
> But, unfortunately, I found it shut down due to something that I didn't
> know. I know it was down when my software make a query to server and it
> returns "String could not be parse as XML".
> Would you please or anyone here explain me step by step how to make this
> thing automatically running at startup/boot and not easily getting
> killed/shut down unexpectedly.
> I use Ubuntu Server 10.10 LTS. I hope that when it is install as a service,
> it will have "everlasting life".

Bayu,

There is nothing magic about a service starting at boot time (usually
via a script in /etc/init.d, linked from /etc/rc2.d) that gives it
"everlasting life".  Such processes can still crash, and will not in
general be automatically restarted.

You need to figure out what killed your server, and make sure it
doesn't happen again.

... if indeed your server died at all.  A message "String could not be
parse as XML" does not suggest that the server was down -- you'd
usually see "Connection refused" in that case.  It seems more likely
that what you're seeing here is a legitimate diagnostic, that invalid
XML is being passed in.

-- Mike.