[Zebralist] search not returning hits

Claire Lumber claire.lumber at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 13 18:27:57 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm very new to zebra/z39.50 and I've been passed a problem which
strikes me as being something to do with configuration somewhere! Please
bare with me if this is something I should know but the documentation
has been making me dizzy! :)

Our zebra server was installed by a previous employee, straight out of
the box with minimal configuration and most of the default values left
(according to his documentation) and everything has been working fine
but recently it was noticed that when searching our zebra based
ejournals database using the term  "journal" it wasn't bringing back any
hits (unfortunately the catalogers can't say whether this is a new
problem or just one they've never noticed before). This happens when
using the YAZ client as well as the Z39.50 interface with metalib.

On searching the oracle ejournals database directly I get back 3608
records with the word Journal somewhere in the title, but when searching
using the same query in YAZ I get back 0. In a similar vain, if I search
the actual database using the term 'of' I get 3935 records, but again in
YAZ nothing. Using search terms that have less hits seem to work fine
and those 2 terms are the most prevalent in the database. The rest seem
to occur less than 1000 times each.

Is there a setting somewhere that says "if there are more hits than
<number> return 0". A maximum hit limit or some such thing, and if so
where is it and can I change it?

Hope this make some sort of sense and any help very gratefully received,
as we can't really have access to an ejournal database and then tell
people they can't search using the term journal! :)

kind regards,
Claire

--
Claire Lumber