[Zebralist] MARC Leader mapping?

Adam Dickmeiss adam at indexdata.dk
Tue Dec 30 15:37:11 CET 2008

Anthony Burkitt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a small Zebra database (GRS records), which is setup with
> mapping to simple MARC records.  However, all records presented as MARC
> by Zebra have fixed values in the MARC leader - and I need to be able to
>   map (or set) at least the bibliographic level (leader position 7).
> I have read the available documentation on mapping, and could find
> nothing about the leader (please tell me if I've missed it!).  I have
> tried what I could think of, but to no avail.  Even mapping to tag "000"
> just caused zebra to add an extra "000" tag into the presented record,
> leaving the leader unchanged.

Currently Zebra puts 4 blanks in offset 6..9 -- counting from zero.
There are several undocumented directives in Zebra's .mar-config system.
But none involves these 4 characters.

Attached is a patch that allows it to be specified in usmarc.mar - to a
constant value at least. You should be able to apply this on a fairly
recent Zebra 2.

We mostly focus on the DOM filter these days.. It allows anything to be
set and based on arbitrary XML input (or other MARC).

/ Adam