[Zebralist] installing zebra package on debian etch on an amd64 system

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jan 9 00:49:00 CET 2007

Hello again,

I'm having some problems installing from the Debian packages of Zebra
after making the switch to a system that runs on amd64 rather than
i386.  I could use some advice on how to make it work.

I'm essentially following the steps that I have outlined from a

After updating /etc/apt/sources.list to include the indexdata
packages and add the indexdata.asc key, I get the following:

sudo apt-get update
Password:
Get:1 http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing Release.gpg [378B]
Hit http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing Release
Ign http://www.sgtpepper.net unstable/ Release.gpg
Hit http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get:2 http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://www.sgtpepper.net unstable/ Release
Get:3 http://ftp.indexdata.dk etch Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.nz.debian.org testing/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://www.sgtpepper.net unstable/ Packages/DiffIndex
Get:4 http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release [24.3kB]
Hit http://ftp.indexdata.dk etch Release
Hit http://www.sgtpepper.net unstable/ Packages
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages
Fetched 24.5kB in 4s (5186B/s)
Failed to fetch http://ftp.indexdata.dk/debian/dists/etch/Release
Unable to find expected entry  main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-
index file (malformed Release file?)
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.indexdata.dk etch/
main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/
ftp.indexdata.dk_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-amd64_Packages) - stat
(2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or
old ones used instead.

Recommendations?  Should I download the package and try and install
it with dpkg instead?  Experiences with Debian, amd64, and Zebra/Yaz?

Cheers,
Walter

P.S. - I'm really enjoying using Zebra and have recently successfully
installed it from source on Mac OS X for development work.  I'm a
regular user of Macports (formerly Darwinports) and hope to see the
latest Zebra and Yaz added to the port collection (the version of Yaz
already there is a bit long in the tooth).