[Zebralist] broken perl support

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.com
Wed Dec 19 20:00:46 CET 2007

Wolfgang Pichler wrote:
>> http://lists.indexdata.dk/pipermail/zebralist/2006-August/001132.html
>>

>>> PS: I remembered there being a perl part of zebra, allowing to index
>>> data using perl scripts but I don't see it in the current (2.0.0)
>>> archive? I don't know if that'd helped me, but it seems gone, anyway.
>>>

>> Yeps. Nobody maintained it actively for quite some time, so it died.
>>

> of course it is always an option to fallback to yaz 2.1.54 / idzebra 1.3
> which is last good version for IDZebra::*
> BUT
> one cannot be really happy especially if lots of code depend on perl'ing
> zebra sessions ...
>
> i'd really be glad if this situation could be "repaired"

If someone is willing to maintain the native Zebra Perl API, we'd be
glad to point people at it or help with the distribution, etc. We simply
don't have the resources to tackle it at our end. for our own Perl
integration of Zebra, we would now be more inclined to use the Z39.50
interface. If we wanted a general way to do this, it might be more
sensible to look into exposing all of the necessary functionality
through the SRU protocol in an effective way -- by extending the
protocol if necessary to support good performance. That would allow you
to access the functionality whether a ZOOM implementation with update
support was available for your platform or not.

All the best,

--Sebastian
> w.p.

Sebastian Hammer, Index Data