[Zebralist] indexing marc records

marc marc at indexdata.dk
Fri Jun 30 13:14:24 CEST 2006

Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

> Can someone here give me a recipe for indexing MARC data?
>
> I have a pile o' (US)MARC records. I want to feed them to zebra for
> indexing. I'll let zebra index the whole lot, not just specific
> fields/subfields. Can someone here give me a quickie introduction for
> making this happen?
>
> --Eric Morgan
> University Libraries of Notre Dame

In addition to the suggestion from Joshua Ferraro, I'd like to point out
that example configurations for plain old usmarc records are found in
the example and test directories of the source tarballs.

Have a look at for example the tested and build tarballs at

  http://ftp.indexdata.dk/pub/snapshot/

for example

  idzebra-1.4.1.tar.gz

(NB: our new release version 2.0.0 will soon be found there as
pre-release. Have some days patience ..)

and have a look into the following configurations:

GRS filter:
  tab/usmarc.abs       # simple usmarc filter, use as starting point
  tab/danmarc.abs      # danish variation, quite extensive, can be used
                       # as inspiration (but do not copy frome these, as
                       # Danes use the fields differently)
  tab/marc21.abs       # another syntax again

test/usmarc/          # test setup using the usmarc configuration files
  examples/marc21      # example setup for marc21

This might get you started on high speed ..

Cheers, Marc Cromme, Index Data

Marc Cromme, cand. polyt, Ph.D
Senior Developer, Project Manager

Index Data Aps