[Zebralist] Phrase searches that cross subfield bounds

Larry E. Dixson ldix at loc.gov
Fri Aug 19 21:20:35 CEST 2005

I am indexing MARC 21 bibliographic records and have set up
appropriate word and phrase indexes for variable fields
and I have been able to set up Leader and 008 indexes
using the very helpful document that Oleg Kolobov
referenced in a May thread on this list ("Elements in
Leader").

However, now I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to
set up phrase indexes that cross subfield bounds.
Our users expect to be able to search phrases like
the following:

  LC call number = "F229.N84"
    Field in record:  050 00 $aF229$b.N84 1994