[Yazlist] zoom client and estimated result set size

Ray Denenberg rden at loc.gov
Thu Mar 27 19:58:41 UTC 2014

From: Mike Taylor

http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/Z39-50-2003.pdf but section 3.2.2.1.11

http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/related95.html but I can't find it from

> a brief scan, and they were all supposed to be integrated into the 2003

> version.

Actually this was introduced in SRU 2.0:

7.6 resultCountPrecision

The response element<resultCountPrecision> allows the server to indicate or
estimate the accuracy of the result count as reported by <numberOfRecords>.

.         exact

o    The server guarantees that the value as reported in <numberOfRecords>
is accurate.

.         unknown

o    The server has no idea what the result count is, and does not want to
venture an estimate.

.         estimate

o     The server does not know the result set count, but offers an estimate.

.         maximum

o    The value supplied is an estimate of the maximum possible count that
the result set will attain.

.         minimum

o    The server does not know the result count but guarantees that it is at
least this large.

.         current

o     The value supplied is an estimate of the count at the time the
response was sent, however the result set may continue to grow.