[Yazlist] Yaz on CentOS

Tsakonas Giannis john at lis.upatras.gr
Wed Mar 5 17:46:56 UTC 2014

Dear Adam

thank you for the enlightening response. We managed to progress, yet we
faced another one problem.

We executed 'yum install php-devel' and then 'pecl install yaz'. At the
end of this command we were asked to define the yaz installation path.
Autodetect didn't work out and lead to failure.

We installed gcc because it seemed that there wasn't any C compiler and
we manually moved on following the instructions found at
http://forums.eukhost.com/f29/installing-yaz-php-extension-using-pecl-failing-7775/

-bash-3.2# cd /usr/local/src/
-bash-3.2# wget http://ftp.indexdata.dk/pub/yaz/yaz-3.0.49.tar.gz
-bash-3.2# tar xzf yaz-3.0.49.tar.gz
-bash-3.2# cd yaz-3.0.49
-bash-3.2# ./configure
-bash-3.2# make
-bash-3.2# make install
-bash-3.2# cd ztest/
-bash-3.2# ./yaz-ztest&

We restarted apache (service httpd restart) and tested our query forms.
Still nothing.

Now we have the folder 'yaz-3.0.49' in '/usr/local/src'. The folder
'yaz-3.0.49' has the files 'yaz-config' and 'config.log' that according
to the error messages we received were essential (previously
unavailable). It seems that the inability to find out the yaz
installation path is critical to proceed and add the extensions.

With kind regards

Not enough.

yum install yaz
installs yaz-client .. YAZ utilities
yum install libyaz-devel
installs YAZ development libraries for C
yum install php-pear
installs pear

Now you also need to actually install PHP/YAZ. Perhaps you also need:
yum install php-devel

And, finally, compile PHP/YAZ itself:
pecl install yaz

You can now add extension=yaz.so to php.ini

YAZ is now available to php cli and, perhaps, other PHP interfaces..