[Yazlist] GRS-1 format

Michal Dulinski mid at llgc.org.uk
Fri Oct 11 11:26:17 UTC 2013

Hi Mike,

Maybe I'll explain what I'm trying to do. My aim is to get holdings
records which are not embedded in a bibliographic record. We use VTLS's
Virtua ILS. As far as I know the only way of getting holdings
information from our Z39.50 server is using GRS-1. Retuning the same
record in MARC drops the holdings fields.
Example yaz-client output:

Z> f @attr 1=12101 004958321
Sent searchRequest.
Received SearchResponse.
Search was a success.
Number of hits: 1, setno 1
records returned: 0
Elapsed: 0.031897
Z> format GRS-1
Z> elements HU
Z> show 1
Sent presentRequest (1+1).
Records: 1
Record type: GRS-1
(1,1) OID: 1.2.840.10003.13.1000.24.1
(4,59) ? type = 6
(4,60) ? type = 6
(4,61) ? type = 6
(4,136) 3
(4,149) 1
(4,152) ? type = 6
(4,201) 3
(4,138) ? type = 6
(4,139) ? type = 6
(4,85) 0
(4,86) 2
(4,83)
     (4,13) http://hdl.handle.net/10107/1128714
(4,83)

nextResultSetPosition = 2
Elapsed: 0.036902

I suspected that it might not be possible to return a record in this
format over SRU but I wasn't sure.

Thank you,
Michal

On 10/11/2013 10:29 AM, Mike Taylor wrote:
> Hi. Michael. I'm not sure what that would even mean. By definition,
> all records in SRU are expressed in XML, whereas GRS-1 is an
> on-the-wire binary protocol for encoding structured information. There
> is no representation of a GRS-1 record in XML.
>
> Sorry to disappoint. (For what it's worth, I really like GRS-1. It
> predated XML, is more expressive and much more efficient, and in
> practice hardly less human-readable.)
>
> -- Mike.
>

> On 11 October 2013 10:21, Michal Dulinski <mid at llgc.org.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have a question concerning yazproxy. Is it possible to obtain a record in
>> GRS-1 format using yazproxy's SRU interface? I am able to get get a record
>> in GRS-1 using yazclient and yazproxy but I haven't been able to do that
>> using my SRU client.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Michal Dulinski

Michal Dulinski