[Yazlist] pazpar2: possibility to turn of indexes on specific targets?

Porst, Sven porst at sub.uni-goettingen.de
Fri Aug 26 15:11:30 CEST 2011

Hi everybody,

when setting up targets for pazpar2 I can define the indexes that are accessed using the cclmap. That's working great. Now I ran into two use cases where I want to do something a slightly more advanced and possibly  unusual:

1. I want to do subject searches on different catalogues which use distinct classification systems. To do that, I have a table translating from one classification to the other. One catalogue supports one of these systems while the other supports the other system and each catalogue supports its own system only.

To successfully run my queries on both systems simultaneously, I created a setup where both targets understand both search keys and the cclmap setup maps the irrelevant one to an index which is bound to return 0 results on queries of that specific form. By ORing together both queries, I end up getting the results I want. However, using that 'fake' search key feels like a bit of a hack and is not particularly elegant.

2. The other issue is when working with a bunch of databases and some of them don't support a specific index. If the index is interesting enough, I still may want to offer searches on that index to my users, even though those will only work on a subset of the databases used.

Here it would likewise be useful to just ignore queries on that index on the targets that don't support it. But it's not clear to me how to do that.

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to tell pazpar2 that it should expect queries on a specific search key (so there is no error message when those are received and that queries combining the non-working search key with another one keep working) but to not pass them on to the target database at all.

The best I could figure out for this so far is the hack I described above. Is there perhaps a better way of achieving the same result?

Best

	Sven

--
Sven-S. Porst
SUB Göttingen, Bibliotheksinformationssysteme