[Yazlist] ruby-zoom no longer able to connect to Zebra

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Mon Aug 8 03:36:21 CEST 2011

Hi Mike,

On Aug 5, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Mike Taylor wrote:

> Walter, many thanks for chasing this so assiduously.  It's rotten that
> you had to wade through so much complexity here, but great that you
> did it :-)  Could you possibly summarise your conclusions in a few
> sentences?  Thanks again -- Mike.

Ok, here's what I have found:

* a previously updated to Debian Lenny host, that is then updated to the latest Debian Lenny (as of 2011-08-01 roughly) will have ruby-zoom be unable to connect to 'localhost' when updated to YAZ 4.2.6/Zebra 2.0.48, using '127.0.0.1' as the address to connect to will allow ruby-zoom to connect.

* a fresh install of Debian Lenny with the latest updates as of 2011-08-03 or so with the same YAZ/Zebra combination also has the same problem

* however, a fresh minimal install of Debian Squeeze from the same time period with the same YAZ/Zebra combination does NOT have the problem and connecting via 'localhost' (and actually won't respond to requests on '127.0.0.1')

* BUT, a host that started out as Debian Etch, then upgraded to an earlier version of Lenny, then upgraded to latest Debian Lenny on 2011-08-05 or so, and then finally upgraded to Debian Squeeze DOES have the same issue (i.e. cannot connect via request 'localhost', but will connect via '127.0.0.1')

* I checked Heikki's theory that either /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf and IP6 was involved and IP6 looks to be off on the host, so that doesn't look to solve the mystery (I'll double check this though, just to be sure).

The end result is that I have implemented a way in Kete to set the connection specifications to '127.0.0.1' if necessary with a command line utility or reverse the process back to 'localhost'.

Hope that is a decent summary of my findings. Wish I knew what the concrete cause was!

Cheers,
Walter