[Yazlist] ruby-zoom no longer able to connect to Zebra

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Fri Aug 5 09:44:31 CEST 2011

On Aug 4, 2011, at 9:18 AM, Walter McGinnis wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Walter McGinnis wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Ok, I found the problem. Or more accurately a workaround that allows me to get things working.
>>
>> Turns out, at least on Debian Lenny, that unlike zoomsh and yaz-client, when running ruby-zoom's Zoom::Connection#connect specifying 'localhost' wouldn't even hit the Zebra instance (well, nothing noted in log) whereas '127.0.0.1' works fine.
>>
>> The problem exists in YAZ 4.2.6 in combination with a recently updated Debian Lenny install.
>>
>> I know that as late as YAZ 4.0.11 this wasn't a problem on Debian Lenny (though I can't be positive that it was all the way up to date).
>>
>> It is very weird to me that it is specific to ruby-zoom and isn't a problem with yaz-client or zoomsh. Maybe an issue with updated Debian Lenny? Maybe something in YAZ?
>>

> Turns out it isn't an issue with Squeeze though. So I guess it was a quirk of the various combination of YAZ and Debian Lenny updated to a certain point.
>
> Oh well, off to upgrade things to Squeeze.

Well I have to qualify that. For a host upgraded to Squeeze from latest Lenny, it can occur. It just doesn't happen from a clean install of Squeeze.

I've got a reversible workaround in place for Kete instances where this is a problem, so I'm not going to dig into it further. By posting here, hopefully I'll prevent others from spending as much time as I have trying to find this issue.

Cheers,
Walter