[Yazlist] ruby-zoom no longer able to connect to Zebra

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Wed Aug 3 02:11:07 CEST 2011

Hi again,

Ok, I found the problem. Or more accurately a workaround that allows me to get things working.

Turns out, at least on Debian Lenny, that unlike zoomsh and yaz-client, when running ruby-zoom's Zoom::Connection#connect specifying 'localhost' wouldn't even hit the Zebra instance (well, nothing noted in log) whereas '127.0.0.1' works fine.

The problem exists in YAZ 4.2.6 in combination with a recently updated Debian Lenny install.

I know that as late as YAZ 4.0.11 this wasn't a problem on Debian Lenny (though I can't be positive that it was all the way up to date).

It is very weird to me that it is specific to ruby-zoom and isn't a problem with yaz-client or zoomsh. Maybe an issue with updated Debian Lenny? Maybe something in YAZ?

Cheers,
Walter

Walter McGinnis
Kete Project Lead (http://kete.net.nz)