[Yazlist] FW: questions for yaz z39.50

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Mon Nov 23 11:41:55 CET 2009

If you want to make a Z39.50 client to search in other people's
servers, then use the ZOOM API.  That is available in many different
languages: see http://zoom.z3950.org/bind/ for details -- of which
several are provided directly by YAZ and others are distributed
separately as thin layers on top of the YAZ implementation.

If you want to build a Z39.50 server for an existing database, then
you need to use the YAZ GFS (Generic Front End) server.  This has a C
API which is part of the YAZ distribution, and a Perl API -- much
easier to use -- that is distribued on CPAN as the
Net::Z3950::SimpleServer module.  At present, there are no bindings
for other languages.

Hope this helps.