[Yazlist] YAZ 3.0.14 tricky installation on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Tue Dec 8 23:20:25 CET 2009

I actually spoke to soon on getting this working.  I gave up after encountering several issues.

I recently decided to give it another and try and succeeded this time, with a much simpler process.

First up, I used the homebrew package management tool (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew) to install libxml2 and icu4 over Mac OS X 10.6.x's distributed versions of those pieces of software:

# I also outright deleted everything that I had previously tried under /opt
$ brew install libxml2
$ brew link libxml2
$ brew install icu4c
$ brew link icu4c

Then I slightly hacked the yaz formula included with homebrew:

*  edit /usr/local/Library/Formula/yaz.rb like so:
 def install
    system "./configure", "--prefix=#{prefix}", "--disable-debug", "--disable-dependency-tracking", "--with-xml2",  "--with-icu"
    # system "./configure", "--prefix=#{prefix}", "--disable-debug", "--disable-dependency-tracking"
    system "make install"
  end

Then, back to homebrew installs:

$ brew install yaz