[Yazlist] marc8 to UTF8 conversion

Dario Rigolin drigolin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 09:16:08 CEST 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 21:44:18 Adam Dickmeiss wrote:
> Lamon Jean-Pierre wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I’m coming with another conversion problem from MARC8 to UTF8 reported
> > by the Library network of Western Switzerland (RERO).
> >
> > I’ve tried with many yaz3.dll versions. It’s about ligatures.
>
> I'm not an expert either.. But you might post the original MARC-8
> content or how to retrieve the original MARC records (in MARC-8).

This is the perl script I use to convert a marc/unimarc record in iso format
encoded with an 8bit charset into utf8 encoded iso2709 record.
This is working for me moving records iso2709 unimarc from iso8859-1 to utf-8.

Usage:
  perl marc-to-utf8.pl filename > outputfilename

MARC::Record 2.0 is needed to do that.

I hope this helps.

--
Dario Rigolin