[Yazlist] yaz-client with SRU servers

marc marc at indexdata.dk
Mon Mar 26 23:05:04 CEST 2007

Alan Darnell wrote:
> I'm trying to test an SRU server using the yaz-client but am not sure if
> I'm using the right syntax because I'm getting the following error:
>
> $ yaz-client  http://services.oxfordjournals.org:4040/cgi/sru
> Connecting...OK.
> Z> find water
> Decoding of SRW package failed
> Elapsed: 0.804393
> Z>
>
> The SRU server supports CQL Level 0 and returns unqualified dublin
> core.   It returns records when I access via a URL in a browser.
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong?

It looks like that
http://services.oxfordjournals.org:4040/cgi/sru
returns a sign-on HTML page, and not an SRU XML explain response as it
should.

You see that by surfing into the above adress by a web browser, or by
running a search:

  yaz-client  http://services.oxfordjournals.org:4040/cgi/sru -a -
Z> sru get
Z> find water

Your browser might have some cookies set which contain a session ID or
login credentials, but the simple yaz-client can not access this
information, so it complains about a HTML response it does not know about.

Same if you surf into

http://services.oxfordjournals.org:4040/cgi/sru?version=1%2E1&operation=searchRetrieve&query=water&maximumRecords=0

with a web browser.

The response is certainly not SRU ... so yaz-client complains quite right.

Marc Cromme, Index Data

> Alan

Marc Cromme
M.Sc and Ph.D in Mathematical Modelling and Computation
Senior Developer, Project Manager

Index Data Aps
Købmagergade 43, 2
1150 Copenhagen K.