[Yazlist] libyaz3

Adam Dickmeiss adam at indexdata.dk
Wed Mar 21 16:46:18 CET 2007

Ko van der Sloot wrote:
> Adam Dickmeiss wrote:
>> We are making a new major so version of YAZ' shared library.
> ..
>> When we are changing the .so major version we are "free to" change both
>> API and binary layout.
>>
>> If anybody have things they would like to change in a more radical, let
>> us know. It's also good to get suggestions like that anyway.. But it's
>> better to do it now than later.
>
> One of the things that crosses my mind is Z_SRW_explainResponse
> This struct contains another struct: Z_SRW_record
> I would suggest making this a pointer. This wil make
> Z_SRW_explainResponse invariant with respect to changes in Z_SRW_record
> (as might be handy to add a RecordId Field)

OK.

> Maybe the same argument yields for other structs-within-strucs as well.
We'll look into these issues. Thanks.

>> Note that libyaz3 does not mean YAZ 3. At least that's what not I
>> personally have in mind. The "official" version name is a more branding
>> than anything else. And they certainly don't have to be the same.
>
> This might be confusing. Why not take a big leap ;)
You are the second to say that. The branded version can be anything. So
we can make that to follow, at least, the major lib.so version.

Doing the other way around, however, is a no-go.

See
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Updating-version-info

So new version would be YAZ 3?

/ Adam