[Yazlist] RE: Yazlist Digest, Vol 37, Issue 8

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Tue Jul 18 12:52:52 CEST 2006

Nguyen Hong Vinh writes:
 > >  > I want to develop a Z39.50 Server in Csharp using YAZ libraries,
 > >  > how can I start?.
 > >
 > > See http://zoom.z3950.org/bind/dotnet/
 >
 > Thank you for your suggestion. I have look at the code and read
 > some documents around, but I did not found any thing relate to
 > Z39.50 server, only for Z39.50 client. Could you show me more?.

My mistake, sorry -- I'd not registered that you wanted to make a
server.  Yes, ZOOM is client-side only at present.

For building a Z39.50 server, your options are much more limited.  If
you're happy to work in C, you can use YAZ's GFS (Generic Frontend
Server), as described at
	http://indexdata.com/yaz/doc/server.tkl
If you find it easier to work with Perl, then you can use the
Net::Z3950::SimpleServer module, which is essentially a Perl wrapping
of the GFS, described at
	http://indexdata.com/simpleserver/
And that is about it.

A possible alternative would be to abandon YAZ altogether and write
your server in Java, using Knowledge Integration's JZKit2:
	http://developer.k-int.com/jzkit2/
but I don't know how well document or supported that is.

Finally, if none of these options suits you, and if you really want to
use Csharp on .NET, then please contact us off-list, and we can give
you quote for building a SimpleServer-like Csharp interface to the
GFS.

Hope this helps.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the
	 Amazon.  It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for
	 eating honey.  It is also provided with fins for swimming.
	 The llama is, however, very dangerous.  So if you see one
	 where there are people swimming, you must shout out: LOOK OUT!
	 THERE ARE LLAMAS!" -- Monty Python's Flying Circus.