[Yazlist] Newbie questions: Client Application

Hans-Werner Hilse hilse at sub.uni-goettingen.de
Sat Jul 15 18:22:55 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:29:48 +0200 "Finston, Laurence"
<Laurence.Finston at iwf.de> wrote:

> My impression so far is that the use of Z39.50 is extremely complex,
> and while there's a lot of information available, it's hard to find
> introductory material.  Could somebody point me to some?  In
> particular, I'm having a problem finding information about the PICA
> format used by the library system whose records I'm trying to read
> (GBV = Gemeinsamer Bibliotheksverbund = Common Library Network in
> Germany).  I've been trying to find out the meaning of the numbers
> that designate the various fields in the records, but haven't been
> able to find a chart.  I'm also unclear about the function of the
> character octal 237 which appears frequently in the records.  Is it
> just a separator, is it the first character of a multi-byte sequence,
> or does it have some other purpose?  I haven't noticed any other
> non-ASCII characters, but they might be problematic, too.

Do you speak german? That question is due to the fact that I don't know
of an english translation, but the "metadata scheme" for the GBV is
actually the "cataloguing ruleset", which is regularly updated and
available online:

http://www.gbv.de/vgm/info/mitglieder/02Verbund/01Erschliessung/02Richtlinien/01KatRicht/inhalt.shtml

and more information about the available databases and the available
charsets is here:
http://www.gbv.de/vgm/info/benutzer/04extras/extras_0065?lang=en

-hwh